Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sixteen Things You May or May Not Know About Me, and Then Some

1. When I was little, I first heard that we can "live our dreams." That phrase somehow morphed into this amazing thought/fear that followed me day in and day out for a good two years or so—what if I'm really a bear in hibernation, and this (my life as a human) is really one big, long dream? When I wake up, will I be happy that I am really a bear and that my life as Kimberly Malsom, the human, was just in my head? Or will I desire to fall back asleep so I can continue living the life of human Kimberly Malsom in my dreams again? (Seriously folks, this one freaked me out for awhile--I didn't want to be a bear!)

2. I have an irrational fear when swimming in a swimming pool, that the drain will somehow suck me towards it until I drown. Thankfully, the fear never kept me from swimming or having fun in the water (I've always been a fish), however to this day I do swim a bit faster when picking up diving rings from the deep end and when swimming directly above the drain. I told you it was an irrational fear.

3. On the same token, when in a lake or other natural body of water (where there are no drains), I am afraid water creatures (yucky ones) are near me and will somehow brush against my skin. It is for this reason that I am great at treading water (I always have my extremities moving so that the creatures know to stay away) and am selective where I choose to go skinnydipping. (Yeah--think about that one, you "I love to be naked anywhere, anyhow" people! Eew!)

4. I have the great ability to remember my dreams the night after—sometimes good, sometimes not so good, yet almost always crazy and weird. I've dreamt on more than one occasion I was in a horrible car accident (and died), my teeth spontaneously fell out, my mother passed away, I was drugged by a photographer to take sexy pictures for my boyfriend, I was on the Titanic (no, it did not sink) and was pregnant and hiding from my husband (who was a politician of sorts, not to mention, my HS calculus teacher was my OBGYN in that one), I had been kidnapped and was unable to scream as the culprits were dragging me away from my home, I was floating on a small square of carpet in the dark sky, desperately clinging to the short fibers as gravity tried to pull me away into the nothingness, blocks of color quickly flash in front of me until a peach color settles in my view and I become unexplainably terrified . . . see? I told you they're all crazy and weird.

5. I think Raleigh is his cutest when he's in the very sleepy, half-awake mode—you know, where his eyes can barely open and he's pretty groggy still . . . I don't know why, however I find him SO adorable when he's like this. On the contrary, I feel like it's in those very moments (when I'm waking up) that I look my worst.

6. I wish I hadn't let my Spanish speaking skills slip—it's true: "If you don't use it, you lose it." And my abilities in this area are far from being what they used to.

7. When I was little, my mom told me my freckles were angel kisses and I loved them. When I got older, I was teased for how many freckles I had, and I hated them. Now, as an adult, I am mature and wise enough to know my mom really was right—and I love my freckles once again. If one day I'm blessed to be the mother of a child with freckles, I'm going to share the truth with him/her as well.

8. I feel like I still have so much to contribute to the world, and so much to say, that perhaps those two facets are connected in some way. Jaime, I'm totally psyched to read the book you've given me, Writing to Change the World. Thank you!

9. I AM a brilliant, loveable, sexy woman, enthusiastically accepting my greatness NOW! And even though I can forget that at times, I can (and do) remember.

10. One of the biggest moments in my life was making eye contact with the little homeless girl in India. In that moment, language, culture, social, and economic barriers that created distance between us vanished instantly—we connected human to human, and recognized the spirit we share regardless of our differences. How I often long for that magic connection with those I know personally, and on a broader scale, amongst all people in the world as well.

11. I'm always surprised by what people will do to make a buck: sell their body, intentionally take advantage of another in business, do crazy life-threatening stunts that no one has completed and lived to tell about it, steal, (and most recently) work at the Colorado Renaissance Festival . . .

12. I know I've accomplished a lot these past 25 years, however as I head into my 26th year of life I realize that there's still far more on my "want to do" list than on my "already been there, done that" list. I look forward to (in no particular order): seeing the Grand Canyon with the love of my life (Sept. 2008), getting married, creating a family, traveling to Italy, defending and keeping my title of Jello Wrestling Champion of T33's Jello Wrestling Extravaganza, mastering the chairlift on the ski slopes (and becoming a better skier, for that matter), publishing some of my written works, ride in a hot air balloon . . . and much, much more. (And why is it when I write this stuff down, the list always seems shorter than I know it is?!)

13. I've come to believe that sometimes, there is just no logical answer. Period. (And as an expert analyst, that's a tough lesson to learn.)

14. Ice cream, cheese (any kind but bleu), and caprese salad are my most fave food items. Watch out when I eat the last one--belches are sure to follow. (Sorry, Raleigh!)

15. Raleigh has turned me into a garlic-lover. I haven't tried it yet, however if someone has a recipe for garlic-flavored ice cream, I'm willing to give it a shot.

16. It was spending time by myself on a California hillside a few years ago where I came to the realization that my ultimate goal in this life is to be a great wife and mother. That, I am sure, is going to be my greatest contribution to this world.

17. I can get frustrated at times that the goal listed above isn't one I can just pick a weekend on the calendar to go out and do. (I know I could, however you know what I mean!) Instead, I get to emotionally dance between great joy and gratitude, and sadness and impatience as I know that I get to experience this goal only as I deepen my relationship with others (namely, Raleigh and myself).

18. Sometimes I know I'm not a very good Catholic. Yet I am still Catholic and my faith is very important to me. I take solace in knowing that despite what others may think or say, God and I are the only ones who really know the depth of our relationship. It is Him that I serve and only He knows the entirety of my heart and soul.

19. Although I definitely fall towards one end of the political spectrum, I have difficulty placing myself in the box of political labels such as "Democrat," "Republican," "Independent," etc. Such labels automatically conjure up so much meaning today, that when such words are used, assumptions are made in the blink of an eye about what that person believes and what he/she supports and does not support . . . it subconciously sets up a platform for mis-representation and equally, mis-interpretation . . . the filter is so strong it's practically impossible to start with a clean foundation on which to experience and truly appreciate that other person and accept their own thoughts and beliefs for exactly what they are.

20. Language is extremely powerful. Choose your words carefully.

21. Thanks to all those years with metal in my mouth, I have very sensitive teeth. It's a bummer when the ice cream is cold (and it always is), however that doesn't stop me from enjoying it. Yummy!

22. When I was in elementary school, I chose to play the saxophone in band only because a girl bully that I knew chose to play saxaphone first. She told me she was upset that I out-performed her on everything else we did (academically, out on the playground, in our afterschool social program, etc.), and I just couldn't let her do one thing that I didn't do, and certainly couldn't let her do it better. I'm embarrassed now, however I can honestly say that is the only decision I ever made (that I can think of) that was purely motivated by revenge. It was a tough lesson learned--I hated playing the saxophone and I really wanted to play the flute instead.

23. Even though I know it's silly, to this day I feel a little bit guilty I didn't enjoy playing the violin. It was my maternal grandfather's absolute passion (he owned over 100 fiddles at the time of his death) and I know he wanted nothing more than one of his grandkids to pick up the talent and play as he did. I was good at it, yet I didn't enjoy it very much and therefore I didn't play long. I know he wasn't ever angry at me for this, however I do wish I could have been the fiddle-playing grandkid was so proud of. I suppose just being one of grandkids he loved and was proud of for other reasons is good enough though too.

24. For every situation, social problem, law, claim, etc., there is usually more to the story that what appears to be so. I am sometimes secretly ashamed how quick I am to judge what I see and know to be all there is.

25. At 26 years old, I am still learning about money. Thank goodness I'm still attracting it too. And giving it. And sharing it. And using it. And investing it . . . And still learning about it. Seriously--there's a lot I'm still figuring out.

26. Like Jamie--I'm a perfectionist that can be pretty obsessive-compulsive at times. But shhhh . . . that one's a secret for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment