On Friday, April 1st, Grandma Ruth flew away Home. Even now, in my grief, I take comfort in knowing that even before she took her last labored breath, Grandma Ruth was never alone, and had a heavenly escort the entire way to the gates of heaven. Let me explain . . .
On Wednesday, March 30th, Grandma was unconscious most of the day. She had taken a turn earlier in the week, and we, her family, knew her time with us was most likely coming to a quick end. She slept most of the day, something the hospice nurse said was to be expected more and more as she made her transition.
At one point in the afternoon, she awoke with full lucidity, and in the mix of a clear and coherent conversation with my aunts and uncle in the room, asked a question that no one was expecting: "Who is that woman?"
"What woman, Mom?" my aunt asked, nearing her bedside.
"That woman right there, standing at the foot of my bed, wearing a long, white gown," Grandma Ruth answered. "Can't you see her?! She's beautiful . . ."
"Momma, there's no one there . . ."
And before anyone could probe any further, Grandma Ruth closed her eyes and slipped back into a restful sleep. My aunts and uncle looked at each other in wonder about what happened, and resolved to ask her about it again if they had the chance.
Sure enough, a few hours later, my grandmother awoke again. They discussed how she was feeling, if she wanted more medications, something to drink, what they each had done during the day by Grandma's bedside . . . and then, they asked. "Mom, do you remember waking earlier, and asking us about the woman standing at the foot of your bed?"
"Of course I do," Grandma Ruth answered. "I asked you who she was because she was just standing there, and I figured you'd know."
"But Mom," my uncle chimed in again, "There was no one there. We looked, and we couldn't see her."
"That's what you say," Grandma said.
By now they were all wondering the same thing, but hesitant to ask in case it upset Grandma. "Mom," my aunt carefully pressed, "do you remember, did the woman standing there . . . did she happen to have wings?"
Grandma Ruth cocked her head to one side to think for a moment, recalling her vision from earlier in the day. "Why come to think of it," she said, "Yes, she did!"
There wasn't too much further discussion after that, as Grandma didn't stay awake for much longer and my aunts and uncle were too surprised (and exhausted) to dwell on the experience with any additional effort. Grandma Ruth didn't wake again much after that, and slowly slipped deeper and deeper into a coma which along with medication to keep her comfortable, brought her ailing body much rest. She finally flew away (I believe, with her heavenly escort) at about 10:45p CST on Friday evening.
This story brings me great comfort and joy, for a number of reasons. First of all, from the moment we knew Grandma was going to be leaving us, I have prayed for God to keep her comfortable and for her to know how much she is loved and that she is never alone. I actually prayed specifically for her to have an "escort" of sorts (though even in my prayers I didn't visualize a real angel guiding her way!), so that she could leave this world in peace and meet Jesus face to face without any anxiety or delay. Perhaps this was my wish as I struggled to know that I most likely would not be by her side at the time she was going to leave us, and didn't want her to feel lost or lonely when her time would come. To know that she was being watched over even before she left us brings me great comfort. I can only imagine when the time came for her to fly away, that the angel took her by the hand, and led her the entire way. She was not alone, and the best part--neither are we!
Secondly, as I was discussing the situation with a friend, she brought up something I hadn't thought of before--Grandma's question/experience is such a blessing to our family. To have verification from my grandmother herself to know that she was not alone is something that many families wish to have as they say goodbye to their loved ones, but never do. It was almost as if through the experience herself, Grandma was saying, "See guys, I'll be ok. I haven't even passed away from Earth yet and still God has sent his Angel down to be with me. I am SO loved; you don't need to worry about me at all."
Furthermore, though, I believe that the experience was part of God's plan, in that allowing us to know of Grandma's heavenly visitor, we might each get a peek of the heaven that awaits us all. We don't get to see everything now--it's not yet our time--however little bits and pieces like this suffice as proof that there is a heaven out there, and that God is great and wants us there!
Many times since Grandma's death, I have felt her presence nearby. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she has assigned herself to be one of my Guardian Angels, just to stay nearby and keep watch. If so, I smile at the thought and warmly welcome her into that role. If not, I know I have my Angel nearby, and will one day, see my grandma (and all others who may go before) again!
ride the Waves. {a birth story}
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment