Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Club Member

So over the past few months it's become very clear, very fast--being parents to twins (and identical twins at that!) is not something many can say.  It appears we are indeed members of quite an exclusive club.

That being said, I've been asked the following questions quite a few times and realize that unless I was not in the middle of experiencing this adventure (and trust me, learning TONS as we go!), would probably be wondering the same.  So, here's a quick recap of my experience with regards to carrying twins, knowing full well that next month may look different that this one, and/or that other moms of twins might answer the questions very differently for themselves:

Q: Does it feel different having two squirming bodies play/roll/kick inside versus just one?
A: Not really--to me, it feels nearly the same to have these two boys moving inside as it felt when Blake was still swimming and growing.  Perhaps that's because I hardly ever feel both babies move at the same time (they'd BETTER get on the same schedule before arrival, that's for sure!) and so in general the movements feel the same, they just alter between my left and right front abdominal sides (which was how Blake felt as he turned around in my belly).

Q: If it really doesn't feel different to have two babies inside, does this pregnancy as a whole feel the same as it did when you had a singleton?
A: Most definitely NOT!  I feel like this pregnancy is moving along at a much faster clip than Blake's did, and I think Raleigh would agree.  Now, that could partially be because we found out we were pregnant ten weeks in so the first trimester was nearly complete before we learned we were expecting (talk about starting a race one-third of the way through!).  However having two babies inside means that I feel like I'm twice as far along at each step than I did with Blake.  My back hurts likes the dickens ALL THE TIME (not an issue for me with Blake until nearly the end).  And I'm bigger than I was at 26 weeks with Blake too (for obvious reasons).  I get winded much more quickly, have to pee far more often, my belly button is nearly inside out (a new experience for me), and am growing out of my clothes at a much faster pace.  As long as these babies stay in as long as they're supposed to, though (at least to 37 weeks, we pray), then I know the discomfort I feel now and in the weeks to come will all be worth it.

Q: How do you keep the babies straight?  (In other words, how can I tell who is who while in utero?)
A: From our first appointment with the specialist (called a perinatologist, for those who want to know), the doctors labeled the baby closest to my cervix as "Baby A" and the other one as "Baby B".  They can each flip/turn around in their own sacs, but their sacs cannot change places within my uterus (since they are attached/secured by the placenta, which they share).  Therefore Baby A is the one always on my right side and Baby is the one on my left.  Kicks on the right are therefore from Baby A and kicks on the left are from Baby B.  Depending on their vertical position (head up or head down), I can sometimes be unsure of who is kicking me near the lungs, and who is pushing my belly from below ("Was that Baby A or Baby B?").  However, they are starting to each have their own pattern of movement and I think I can usually tell them apart.  Baby B is my feisty one, always kicking HARD and forcefully pushing and rolling against my abdominal wall; he's fairly quick with his movements too, giving me fast jabs to the gut (and bladder!) when he feels the need.  Baby A is much more gentle and slow going, making soft roll-over movements here and light pressure kicks there.  I'm excited to see if this is just how they are moving at this stage in the pregnancy and/or if these traits will follow them to the outside world . . .
**On a side note, after Baby A appeared to be flipping us the bird during the last ultrasound, the doctor hypothesized that maybe Baby A was the feisty one, and that his movements seem lighter than Baby B's only because he's kicking and pushing against his brother instead of me!  I guess time will tell on this one!  :)

Q: Since the boys are twins (and identical at that), you're going to dress them in matching outfits, right?
A: Believe it or not, but identical clothing is not a requirement for identical twins.  (I checked, and there is no manual!)  And Raleigh and I have talked about it a lot, and very quickly came to the agreement that we don't want our boys to feel like they're only a person of value when they're part of the eye-catching twin duo (face it--folks are FASCINATED by twins!).  Instead, we want them to feel special as they are, all the time, simply because they are each uniquely wonderful and amazing.  We are therefore doing what we can to celebrate their differences (whatever they may be) and encourage them to be their own person, regardless of what their brothers (Blake included) might be/do.  Of course if they look and do the same things as their brothers simply because they are brothers and close in age (and/or because they want to), that's ok--we just don't want them to feel forced to be like this and/or make anything negative up about their individual worth since they were conceived and born as a pair.  Nothing against parents of twins who found matching outfits cutesy and/or entertaining, however we will purposefully be making a different choice for our boys--at least for now.

I think that's it for now, but am sure other questions will continue to pop up.  And as I receive them, I'll ponder them and answer them honestly.  We are still learning what being members of this exclusive club is all about, and what the benefits of membership are.  The cost is high, however I believe the rewards will be even higher.  Here's to a lifetime membership!

No comments:

Post a Comment