Saturday, January 3, 2015

Word Up

For a third year in a row, I've decided to "word up" and choose a single word to guide me through the coming year.  Instead of a traditional New Year's resolution that tends to fall flat over time or a stated goal that can easily be forgotten once achieved, I select a word to inspire and encourage me throughout the next 12 months.  I choose very carefully, as I've learned words are very powerful and once the universe is aware of what one is looking for, things play out in such a way that allows that very word to take root and become something greater than just a few letters on a page.

Fueled by my first two years--where TRUST gave me a run for my money in terms of holding faith when I could not see and when I had absolutely no control over matters that were incredibly big and scary--and JOYFUL supported me in taking a step back to see and appreciate all the wonderful people and things I am blessed to have in my life --I knew that this year's choice would be pivotal.  So I thought about it, and I prayed about it.  And I thought about it some more.  I mulled over several options in my head and heart, and yet kept going back to the one that came to me first: EMBRACE.

I really wrestled this time, and even after the clock ticked over to 12:00a on January 1st, I wasn't certain I'd chosen well.  However the longer I sit with my choice I do believe it is likely to serve me well this next year.  It isn't very glamorous or poetic, and it really doesn't "feel" as well as my previous words did, but I think that may just be the point and embracing my new word (no pun intended) may very well support me in making the future less stressful and uncomfortable.

You see, big things are happening for my family this year and as we get closer to certain milestones and events taking place, I find myself digging my heels in and holding back, wanting to postpone the changes that are sure to come my way.  I am not comfortable where I am and these changes--although challenging in both preparation and the moment of execution--are sure to take me closer to where I want to be with regards to finances, family, time, etc.  So why is it so easy to resist?  When I know the eventual outcome will be good, why do I choose to prolong the pain when I could just as easily choose to take action and end it more quickly?  If I spent half the effort to get what I want that I spend on pushing the pause button or temporarily closing the door I know I will need (and want) to walk through, I dare say my life would look much different. What exactly am I waiting for?

So 2015 is my year to EMBRACE.  To embrace the changes coming my way, to welcome them enthusiastically and as such, stop fighting the inevitable.  To participate more wholly in the solutions to my problems instead of resisting them with such vigor and/or pushing them them away for a future confrontation.  To embrace the relationships in my life that are difficult, and that I know are not likely to change any time soon; to accept them as they are and focus more seriously on healing what portions of those (and myself) I can.  To embrace the way things are--not in a complacent, whatever happens, happens way--but in a more peaceful and positive, here-I-am-and-here's-what-I-have-to-work-with way; to encourage myself to take more action in getting what I want, versus swimming in the same pool of "I wonder if..." or "I wish..." with future plans always staying in "someday" land.

To embrace all that this year has to offer.  I'm ready; let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment