Sunday, April 25, 2010

All I need to know I learned in Barbados...

Ok, so I didn't learn EVERYthing I need to know in Barbados, however I did learn a lot. And some of the lessons I was privileged to learn I did so only because I was in Barbados, yet others I think would have come from my first week as a married woman, no matter where we were geographically on the globe. Regardless, here they are, in no particular order:

* Close all doors and windows to keep lizards, crabs, cats, and monkeys outside; otherwise you might find yourself sleeping with any one (or all) of them.

* Based on results, saltwater from the ocean (namely, the Caribbean Sea) does indeed compromise the effectiveness of the SPF in sunscreen.

* "Old married folk" now has a sense of realism to it that rivals images of our parents' "early" bedtimes. Once the wedding rings were placed on our fingers, we've had a terrible time keeping our eyes open past 9p. Besides the wedding night and our days/nights of travel to and from Barbados it's been like clockwork: the clock strikes 8:30p and one of us begins the yawning ceremonies which inevitably lead us to bed within the next hour.
(Sidebar: this lesson hasn't been true this week as I've had to go to bed without my husband by my side since he's working--I'm so unmotivated to climb into a big bed without him, even if I'm completely exhausted. Tonight Sleepytime Tea is supporting me in aiming for bed earlier than 2a . . .)

* There is something so intimately sweet and spiritually invigorating to see a man proudly wear (and show off) his wedding ring. When Raleigh so carefully slides it on his finger (or when I catch him happily "checking it out" on his hand), I can't help but smile . . .

* Jellyfish sting. Even the little ones.

* There is something so satisfying in achieving a goal, it cannot be expressed in words. Seeing the sunset from the very water from which the sun will fall behind, sea kayaking, getting another stamp in the passport . . . priceless.

* For some people, naked is a viable wardrobe option.

* For the Barbadians, the posted occupancy limit on a public bus is only a suggested minimum. In fact, it appears such limit only encourages the driver to at least double what is written on the sign.

* Rain is indeed "liquid sunshine" and brightens all that is visible when the clouds aren't releasing their store. It is as much a gift from God as the sunshine.

* It's not real until it's real. I've been practicing writing "Kimberly Elstun" for well over a year, yet I still sometimes forget to sign that way. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing . . . :)

* One of the first times my husband had to "rescue" me was in Half Moon Fort, St. Lucy; and there, we learned that he is great at gecko-herding.

* Although extremely attractive all the time, I think Raleigh is most handsome when he is sleeping, or in that very sleepy, only half-awake state. And I secretly hope that if I feel this way about him, he feels the same about me and uncurled hair and no make-up.

* The "Reggae Bus" with its blaring music, wild drive patterns, and co-pilot pouring shots for all the passengers is just not for us. Guess we're not as "hip" and as "cool" as the young Barbadians.

* I STILL love how he holds my hand, caresses my arm, or gently pulls the hair away from my face with his hand. And although nothing is physically different in those actions since April 10th, something is different. And I hope it never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment