So one week from today, Raleigh and I will be getting married! Hooray!
It's so hard to believe that the time has finally arrived. I mean, we've been engaged since forever (18 months) and just the thought of ME finally getting married seems so surreal. I've been to dozens of weddings throughout my 27 years, have thought about my big day since childhood, have been planning for and talking about this day for months and months . . . All of this for so long and yet in seven short days from today, it will be my time.
It will be ME getting fussed over by my girls, ME slipping into the beautiful white dress, ME walking down the aisle to joyful music, ME being the center of attention (with Raleigh of course) and the lone draw for the event. It's crazy to think that it is my time. I think back to just before I reconnected with Raleigh, and laugh at how sure I was this day would never happen. Weddings almost made me sad back then--they were a reminder that I didn't have anyone I loved that much, in that way; that I was so far "behind" all my friends and cousins that were of the same age and madly in love; that my conviction to my faith and my values over the years before may have cost me something greater than I could explain (at least that was my fear). And yet, one day it happened--I fell in love with the person I least expected to--and now am getting married. It's true--time really does fly! If I could go back in time and tell myself anything, I'd say "Be patient, and continue on. It WILL happen. Keep faith. And most importantly, DO NOT SETTLE--because sweetie, a really awesome man is on his way to you and you have to be ready to welcome him into your heart . . . " Not that my advice to myself would change anything (I did exactly as I would have suggested), however encouragement (and a little bit of renewed confidence in those affirmations) in low times would have been nice. Oh well, right?! I'm seven days away from saying "yes" to forever with the man of my dreams, and it all seems so right.
Ok so push the forward button, and at this time next week, he'll probably be still in bed (SO not unusual). I'll have already had breakfast with my best friend and will be at the hair salon, watching my girls get their hair done and chatting about the day's events. We'll be within hours of me walking down the aisle, becoming Mrs. Kimberly Elstun, and then celebrating with friends and family from both near and far.
I'm most excited I think for the quiet moments . . . how blue the sky will be and how pretty the sun will sparkle off the mountain snow, how my surprise flowers look against my dress, how my sweet cousin will toss the flower petals as she walks, how Raleigh's face will look like as I begin my walk to the altar, how his eyes will sparkle as he blinks back tears and says his vows (I'm not expecting a dry ceremony on either of our parts), that first car ride together as husband and wife as we're driven from the church to the reception, the fun behind our first dance and ice cream cake, and then finally closing the door behind us in the hotel at the end of the night . . .
Seven days and counting; it's nearly our time!
ride the Waves. {a birth story}
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment